Search and download in SCIS Data
New to the school library? This one-hour webinar provides an overview of how SCIS can support the provision of a more effective library service to the school community. The following will be covered:
- What is available to school libraries through a SCIS subscription
- How to use the 'Quick scan' page to download catalogue records and book cover images
- How to order records for resources without ISBNs (for example, educational websites and apps)
- Setting up Z39.50 cataloguing
- How to have records added to the SCIS database, including using the SCIS Cataloguing Service and Online Cataloguing Request System
- Components of a SCIS record, including descriptive fields and authority-controlled fields (subject and author headings)
- Strategies for building a search; sorting and limiting search results; and selecting, emailing and printing records from the SCIS catalogue
- How to find known items in the SCIS catalogue, including books, DVDs, websites, and ebooks
- How to use SCIS enriched content (Syndetics, LibraryThing for Libraries, and Google Books) to select and evaluate resources
The webinar runs for 45 minutes, and at the webinar’s conclusion, Renate Beilharz will be available for 15 minutes to respond to specific questions from participants.
Cancellation policy: Submission of the online booking form is considered a firm registration. All Terms & Conditions can be found here.
About the Instructors
Cataloguing team leader, SCIS
Renate has worked for SCIS since 2018. A qualified teacher librarian, Renate worked in secondary school libraries for 20 years before teaching library and information services at Box Hill TAFE. She is passionate about ensuring that schools receive the quality data needed to empower information discovery for students.