Webinar: Search and download in SCIS Data
This one-hour webinar provides an overview of how SCIS can support the provision of a more effective library service to the school community. The following will be covered:
- What is available to school libraries through a SCIS subscription
- How to use the 'Quick scan' page to download catalogue records and book cover images
- How to order records for resources without ISBNs (for example, educational websites and apps)
- Setting up Z39.50 cataloguing
- How to have records added to the SCIS database, including using the SCIS Cataloguing Service and Online Cataloguing Request System
- Components of a SCIS record, including descriptive fields and authority-controlled fields (subject and author headings)
- Strategies for building a search; sorting and limiting search results; and selecting, emailing and printing records from the SCIS catalogue
- How to find known items in the SCIS catalogue, including books, DVDs, websites, and ebooks
- How to use SCIS enriched content (Syndetics, LibraryThing for Libraries, and Google Books) to select and evaluate resources
A recording of the webinar will be emailed to all registered participants after it has been held.
Please note: This introductory webinar covers content similar to the 'Search and selection in the SCIS catalogue' or 'Downloading SCIS records' webinars.
Cancellation policy: Submission of the online booking form is considered a firm registration. All Terms & Conditions can be found here.
About the Instructors
Caroline has worked for SCIS since 2017, and has a background in library systems and technology. Caroline has a Bachelor of Social Science in Librarianship and a Masters of Business (Information Technology).